Serves: 8 -10 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: A little effort needed
Recipe suitable for: Vegetarians
• 400g biscuits, gingernuts or digestives or a combination of the two
• 120g unsalted butter, melted
• 4 egg yolks
• 2 x 400g tins condensed milk
• Zest and juice of 4 large or six small limes
• 4-5 Zespri SunGold kiwis
1. Heat the oven to 170°C.
2. To make the base, blitz the biscuits in a food processor to make a fine crumb. Mix in the melted butter with a wooden spoon and then tip the mixture into a loose bottomed, high-sided 20cm tart tin, or a cake tin. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the tin with the back of the wooden spoon. Put in the fridge to chill.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, lime zest and juice. Peel and slice two Zespri SunGold kiwis.
4. Pour half of the lime mixture into the tart case, levelling it off. Place a layer of SunGold slices on top. Finish with the rest of the mixture, working carefully to achieve a tidy finish. If you have too much mixture you can use it as you would lemon curd, on ice cream, with yoghurt or on toast.
5. Put the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, until the filling is set but still wobbly.
6. Cool, then chill for 2 hours or overnight. Decorate with slices of SunGold from the remaining SunGold kiwis.